Keep yourself healthy and happy through the cold with these herbs and foods:
- St John’s Wort relieves mild to moderate depression to battle the winter blues.
- Chamomile tea reduces anxiety and cabin-fever feelings. It is ideal to relax with before bedtime.
- Echinacea boosts the immune system and can prevent upper respiratory tract infections.
- Garlic improves cardiovascular function, has anti-microbial and antineoplastic properties. It also stimulates the production of white cells.
- Ginger reduces inflammation, cardiovascular conditions, blood clots and cholesterol.
- Turmeric contains curcumin which has great antioxidant properties. It also reduces inflammation, protects the liver and helps digestive problems by improving bile production.
- Carrots and sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene which boosts T-cell production and improves the immune system’s response to infected cells.
- Salmon – the Omega-3 fatty acids in salmon increase the activity of phagocytes – the white blood cells that ‘eat’ bacteria.
Keep warm and see you soon